Horn Dog Barley Wine
Sent to me from: Ryan M.
Date: Aug 30, 2008
Drank at: Belgrade, MN
Well, it's been a really really long time since I've done some updates to buy-me-a-beer. Not for lack of beers mind you, I've gotten many friends, acquaintances and strangers to pick up a round at the watering hole over the months. I feel really bad actually, and have nothing to attribute it to except for laziness. But I think it's about time to revive things and get this show back on the road. I do have a job to do here after all, right?
Ryan actually requested I scout out some Dogfish Head beer, but after doing some searching and not finding it in my neighborhood, I did the best I could. I figured this four pack of Horn Dog would cover the dog-ness, even if a barley-wine is absolute nothing like the dogfish head he request. None-the-less, I did the best I could.
I took my newly acquired pack of brew with me for a labor day retreat to a good friends cabin for the weekend. What ensued was pretty much 60 hours of shenanigans, debauchery and tomfoolery. Here are a few things I learned:
1) While barley wine beer is considered a much higher respected craft beer than most others because of it's rarity, age, and difficulty to brew, I can't say I really like it at all.
2) It's much much stronger than miller lite. (found out the hard way)
3) Pontoon boats will begin to sink if six people stand on the front of it at one time while in motion.
4) Seaweed may be edible and you can catch it on a fishing line, but nobody will praise you even if you catch a really big one.
5) I may be in peak physical shape (snicker. wink.), but that doesn't help me when playing flippy-cup in the late night cabin Olympic events.
The cabin trip was great, and the beer contribution was the cherry on top! Thanks Ryan! It's much much better than the fourty you bought me last time.